One of the most common mistakes made in the discussion of cannabis and CBD products is the assumption that hemp oil and CBD oil are the same things. While both types of oil may come from the same general plant family, they actually couldn’t be more different. Each one has its own defining characteristics, specific uses, and purposes, and understanding the differences is key if you’re going to pick the right one for you.
We’re breaking down everything you need to know about hemp oil vs. CBD oil, making it easy to figure out which option best suits your needs.
What’s the difference between hemp oil and CBD oil?
When comparing hemp oil and CBD oil, the differences can be broken down into five main characteristics:
- The species of origin from which the oil is sourced: While both types of oils are both sourced from the Cannabis family of plants, they each come from a different strain of the Cannabis satvia Each strain has very different characteristics, which results in final products that are far more different than they are alike.
- Parts of the plant used to produce each oil: Hemp oil is specifically produced using only the seeds of the plant, while CBD is made from the flowers, leaves, and stalks.
- How each type of oil is made: Hemp oil is made by pressing the seeds of the plant, squeezing out the oil in a similar method to how olive, coconut, and peanut oils are made. However, CBD oil is made using a more advanced method called solvent extraction. Solvent extraction separates compounds called cannabinoids, terpenes, and trichomes, resulting in an oil rich in plant-based ingredients like CBD.
- Cannabinoid content: CBD oil is named for its key ingredient, CBD, a cannabinoid naturally present in the Cannabis family of plants. While CBD oils are typically rich in CBD, with many averaging around 20 percent concentration, hemp oils contain next to no cannabinoid content.
- Ways to use each type of oil: Hemp oil is primarily used for cooking purposes, as well as an ingredient in shampoos, lotions, and other products. In contrast, CBD oil is used specifically for its cannabinoid properties and can be utilized orally, topically, and many other ways.
Why it’s important to know the difference between hemp oil and CBD oil
Shopping for CBD products can be challenging, especially when it’s difficult to spot the differences between the wide range of available options. While hemp oil certainly serves its own purpose, you’re likely to be disappointed if you purchase it in the hopes of taking advantage of CBD’s plant-based potential. Because hemp oil does not contain cannabinoids (including CBD), it’s unlikely to deliver the benefits you’re hoping for.
Unfortunately, there are companies out there willing to mislead consumers by labeling hemp oil with deceivingclaims and confusing descriptions. Protect yourself by understanding the difference between hemp oil and CBD oil, as well as sticking with a reputable retailer you know you can trust.
Shop high-quality CBD oils from South Beach Smoke
Are you searching for high-quality CBD oils to add to your daily routine and natural living regimen? South Beach Smoke offers a great variety of premium CBD oils from reputable brands in the industry, produced using the highest standard of care and quality. We’ve hand-selected the best of the best, choosing CBD products that are consistently pure and potent.
For CBD oils and other CBD products to incorporate into your daily life, browse South Beach Smoke today!