The terms e-cig and vape are often used interchangeably. However, e-cigs and vapes are distinctly different devices that offer varying experiences. So let's compare and contrast e-cigs and vapes so you can better understand what device will work for you. Let's dive right into it...
First let’s start with the basics and define exactly what e-cigs and vapes are.
E-cigs are affordable and maintenance-free vaping devices with built-in cartridges and batteries. They are similar to traditional cigarettes in shape and size. Most e-cigs don’t have refillable cartridges, so you have to swap them out. E-cigs are also generally lighter, smaller, simpler, and more discreet than vape devices.
Vapes are rechargeable devices that store e-juice in a small tank. They operate in fundamentally the same way as e-cigs – the battery turns the nicotine e-juice into a vapor that you inhale. In addition, vapes come in more variations than e-cigs and are generally more fully featured and customizable.
Comparing and Contrasting E-Cigs and Vapes
So now let’s put these two types of devices side by side and see how they differ in various aspects.
E-cigarettes tend to mimic cigarettes in appearance. Vapes, on the other hand, are often larger and bulkier than e-cigarettes with more adventurous designs. E-cigarettes are often a popular option for those that like the feel of holding a cigarette in their hands.
Vapes have bigger, bulkier batteries than e-cigs. These more robust components mean that vape batteries tend to last longer.
Both e-cigs and vape devices open you up to a huge range of flavored juices. However, if you want more variety and customization, a vape is better, especially since you can mix your own blends of multiple vape juices.
Electronic cigarettes offer the most basic functionality -- simply inhale the vapor from the mouthpiece. This can be perfect for folks who want an easy to use, no fuss device. Vapes, on the other hand can have a variety of more complicated features such as:
- Wattage and voltage settings that allow you to control the atomizer's power, which affects how many clouds the device produces
- Temperature control which affects the flavor's intensity
- Preheat function that heats the device and optimizes power consumption
- Safety features and thermal protection that prolong the life of the device
Pros and Cons
Now let’s delve into the pros and cons of both e-cigs and vape devices:
- More affordable
- Low maintenance
- Simple design and operation
- Small and portable
- Less variety in features and flavors
- Smaller e-liquid capacity
- Large vape juice capacity
- Can be filled with custom e-liquid
- Many sizes and designs available
- More fully-featured
- Can be modified and customized
- Coat more than e-cigarettes
- Require more set-up and maintenance
- Bulkier than e-cigs
So there you have it! We hope this article was helpful in clarifying the differences between e-cigs and vapes. South Beach Smoke offers only the highest quality e-cig kits, cartridges, and accessories. Explore our entire collection today.